1 1/2 packets active dry yeast
1 T and 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. olive oil
1 T salt
8 1/2 c. flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve 1 T sugar and yeast in 1 3/4 c. warm water (stir for a couple of minutes to make sure everything is dissolved.
- Wisk in oil, then beat in 4 eggs one at a time. Then add in 1/2 c. of sugar and salt. Gradually add in flour 1/2 c. at a time. Then knead the bread on the counter for a couple of minutes.
- Grease another large bowl (or you can wash and use the same one from earlier) and return the bread. cover with a towel and let rise for 2 hours. Then press it down to get all the air out and let it rise for another 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half (at this point I freeze one of the halves for later) If you don't want to freeze it, then take one of the halves and divide into 3 balls.
- Roll out the balls and braid together. Repeat with the other half.
- Beat the last egg and brush over bread. Let the bread rise for another 30-45 minutes.
- Brush the bread one more time with the egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.